We at Haupt Mercantile Group (“HMG,” “we,” “our,” “us,” the “Company”), which includes our wholly-owned subsidiary Vamers and Vamers Store (“Vamers”), are committed to respecting your privacy and the security of your personal information.
- the types of information we collect;
- how we use that information;
- the choices we offer, including how to access and update your information; and
- the steps we take to keep your personal information safe.
INFORMATION WE COLLECT
INFORMATION YOU PROVIDE US.
- When you create an account; place an order or make a return; inquire about our services; request emails from us about our offerings; provide us with marketing preferences; receive a gift from someone else who purchases through our Sites; follow us or submit information, including photographs, via third-party social media platforms (e.g., Facebook, Twitter, Google+, etc.); enter a contest or participate in a marketing survey; and submit other information to us directly or through third-party services, you are asked to provide personally identifiable information that uniquely identifies you.
- We collect the following types of personally identifiable information: your contact information (such as name, postal or email address, or phone number), name and email address of gift certificate recipients, username and password, payment information such as PayPal or credit card details, shipping information (including the shipping address and phone number), purchase history at our Sites, shopping preferences (such as an interest in a particular fandom or product category), demographic information, information you provide by interacting with us through social media, and photographs that you submit on our Sites
- Note that any personal information that you post voluntarily now or in the future through the Sites or on an area of a social network monitored by us (e.g., our Facebook page) may be visible to others and collected by third-parties.
INFORMATION WE AUTOMATICALLY COLLECT.
- Analytics. When you visit one of our Sites, we automatically collect the following types of information, some of which is anonymous: information about the devices you use to access the Internet (such as the IP address and the device, browser, and operating system type), URLs that refer you to our Sites and the dates and times of your visits, information on your shopping behavior on our Sites (e.g., page views, paths you take through our Sites, etc.), general geographic location information (e.g., country or city) that shows where you are when browsing our Sites, search terms that you enter to reach our Sites or enter on our Sites to find products, and the fact that you opened one of our emails. We utilize analytics services to help us track the efficacy of our Sites and help us learn more about our visitors’ shopping behavior.
- Social Media Features. Our Sites include social media features, such as the Facebook “Like” button and widgets, the “share this” widget, or interactive mini-programs that run on our site. These features may collect your IP address, which page you are visiting on our Site, and may set a cookie to enable the feature to function properly. Social media features and widgets are either hosted by a third party or hosted directly on our Sites. Your interactions with these features are governed by the privacy statement of the company providing it.
- Web Beacons/Tags. We automatically collect aggregate anonymous information through web beacons. We may also deliver a file to you through the Sites (known as a “web beacon”) from an advertising network with which we have contracted. Web beacons allow advertising networks to provide anonymized, aggregated auditing, research and reporting for us and for advertisers.
- Log Files. As is true of most web sites, we gather certain information automatically and store it in log files. This information may include internet protocol (IP) addresses, browser type, internet service provider (ISP), referring/exit pages, operating system, date/time stamp, and/or clickstream data. We may combine this automatically collected log information with other information we collect about you. We do this for troubleshooting and maintenance purposes.
- Targeted Advertising. Third-party advertising companies serve ads on our behalf across the Internet. They may collect anonymous information about you through cookies and/or web beacons on our Sites and other sites, and then display targeted ads on various sites that you visit.
HOW WE USE INFORMATION
HOW WE SHARE INFORMATION
We do not rent or sell personally identifiable information to others. We may share information we collect with our business partners, advertising companies, and other third parties for the purposes described in this Policy. We occasionally make our mailing list (names and physical address only) and general shopping activity available to reputable third parties who follow the Direct Marketing Association’s privacy standards for the purpose of sending their own direct mail to you. We do not share email addresses with third parties for the purpose of sending their own emails to you. To opt-out see “Your Choices” below.
We contract with other companies to provide certain services, such as email distribution; shipping; name and address verification; market research; third-party advertising; and payment processing. These service providers are not authorized to use or disclose the information except as necessary to perform services on our behalf or comply with legal requirements.
In the event of a sale of some or all of our business or assets, or a merger with another business, or bankruptcy, we would share the pertinent customer information (which may include your personal information) with the other business entity (or entities) involved in the transaction by notifying you via email and/or a prominent notice on our Web site of any change in ownership or uses of your personal information, as well as any choices you may have regarding your personal information.
We may disclose specific information upon governmental request, in response to a court order, or when required by law to do so. We may also share information with companies assisting in fraud protection or investigation. We do not provide information to these agencies or companies for marketing or commercial purposes.
In the event we become aware that the security of the Sites has been compromised or users’ personally identifiable information has been disclosed to unrelated third parties as a result of external activity, including, but not limited to, security attacks or fraud, we reserve the right to take reasonably appropriate measures, including, but not limited to, investigation and reporting, as well as notification to and cooperation with law enforcement authorities. In the event of a data breach, we will make reasonable efforts to notify affected individuals if we believe that there is a reasonable risk of harm to the user as a result of the breach or if notice is otherwise required by law.
Our Sites are not intended for use by anyone under the age of 18. If you are under 18, please do not attempt to create an account or send any information about yourself to us, including your name, address, telephone number or email address. No one under the age of 18 may provide any personal information to us, and we do not knowingly collect personal information from anyone under the age of 18. If we learn that we have collected personal information from a child under age 18 without verification of parental consent, we will delete that information as quickly as possible.
We work hard to protect us and our users from unauthorized access to or unauthorized alteration, disclosure, or destruction of information we hold. To prevent unauthorized access or disclosure, maintain data accuracy, and ensure the appropriate use of information:
We implement physical, electronic, and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure the information that we collect;
We use encryption when using the Internet to transfer or receive requested sensitive personally identifiable information;
When you enter sensitive information (such as a credit card number) on our order forms, we encrypt the transmission of that information using secure socket layer technology (SSL). We follow generally accepted standards to protect the personal information submitted to us, both during transmission and once we receive it. We do not store any credit card information on our servers. No method of transmission over the Internet, or method of electronic storage, is 100% secure, however. Therefore, we cannot guarantee its absolute security; and
We restrict access to personally identifiable information to our employees, contractors and agents on a need-to-know basis and who are bound by confidentiality agreements.
To minimize the risk of having your account being compromised, we recommend that you set up your account password using unique numbers, letters and special characters. Do not disclose passwords to others. Please notify us of any password compromises and change passwords periodically to maintain account protection.
We will retain and use your information as necessary to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, and enforce our agreements.
We offer you choices about the information we collect, how we use and disclose this information, and how we communicate with you:
Email/Direct Mail. You may opt out of receiving marketing emails from us by clicking on the unsubscribe link in our emails. You will continue to receive service-related emails (e.g. order status).
Cookies. You may disable cookies in your Web browser, but doing so will impact the usability of the Sites.
Updating Your Profile. You may update or correct your personally identifiable information related to your account directly on the site.
Contests. From time to time, we may provide you the opportunity to participate in contests or surveys on our site. If you participate, we will request certain personally identifiable information from you. Participation in these surveys or contests is completely voluntary, and you therefore have a choice about whether or not to disclose this information. We may use a third party service provider to conduct these surveys or contests; in those cases, that company will be prohibited from using our users’ personally identifiable information for any other purpose. We will not share the personally identifiable information you provide through a contest or survey with other third parties unless we give you prior notice and choice.
Some of our pages utilize framing techniques to serve content to from our partners while preserving the look and feel of our site. Please be aware that you are providing your personal information to these third parties and not to geeknet.com, geek.net or thinkgeek.com.
Credit card information for web orders is protected in the following ways:
- 2048-bit encryption to and from the servers and web browser.
- Credit card details are not transmitted to or stored in our database.
- Once the information is transmitted to our servers for processing, users are redirected to a payment gateway, such as Stripe and PayPal, that uses industry standard encryption to verify the account, credit card and place an authorization for the order total.
- If the authorization, address verification and risk assessment all clear, the order is accepted and a unique ID is associated with the order for purposes of billing the previous authorization. This ID contains no identifiable link to the credit card number.
[Last Modified: 29 May 2019]